What can the righteous do?
“If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?”
That is a great question! It’s the question asked by the author of this Psalm. It’s a question being asked in many ways today. What can we do? How do we navigate these days in a way that honors God and helps rather than hurts those around us?
Here’s my short list of things we can do when the foundations are destroyed:
1. Pray. We have a really BIG God who is sovereign over the affairs of men. I’m sure he is interested in being part of your solution…why don’t you ask him?
2. Don’t fret. In the midst of chaos and destruction we easily become fearful, fretful, worried, scared….add your own words, you know what I’m talking about. Out of prayer should come one thing very clearly- peace. It comes from trusting a big God with the worries of your life. See Psalm 37, Mat. 11:28-30 and Phil. 4:6-7.
3. Love. Look for ways to show love and compassion to those around you. Really look for ways to love others. The ways are everywhere if we would simply look. John 13:34-35 and Eph. 5:1-2 come to mind. In the midst of anger and fear a person who loves well will change the emotional environment around him.
4. Take a nap. That sounds strange, doesn’t it? But remember when Jesus and the disciples got in the boat to go to the other side of the lake? Jesus went in the back of the boat and fell asleep. He trusted himself to God. Trusting God looks strange in a storm but that’s when. you most need him. Prov. 3:5-6
5. Keep your “eyes” on Jesus. Another storm story illustrates this. The disciples in the boat, Jesus walking on the water, Peter asking if he can do it and he does…..but the text follows with these insightful words about Peter, “but seeing the wind he became afraid and beginning to sink he cried out….” Did you see Peter’s cause of fear? He focused on the wind instead of the creator of the universe right in front of him! Watching the wind will make you afraid. Keeping your eyes on Jesus will give you peace. The situation may be no different but you are. No matter what, focus on Him!
What can we do when everything is crumbling around us? Start with these and let’s see what happens.